Work package I: Technical Assistance
The Contractor will be responsible for the output 1: Support the establishment of integrated waste management systems according to the international BAT and BEP approaches in Suzhou, Taian, Xi’an, Lanzhou and Bengbu
The scope of advise includes
- Development of the detailed proposal for the implementation of IWM for each demonstration municipality with strategic special consideration for technical, financial and governance aspects, including alignment with/adjustment of long-term municipal level plans (waste management; circular economy and low-carbon development plans);
- Detailed aspect-based consulting on establishment of new waste treatment facilities, improvement of existing ones (i.e. landfills closure; efficiency of existing waste incineration plants; process optimization at the restaurant/ household kitchen waste treatment plants etc.) and/or optimisation of waste disposal (i.e. leachate collection and treatment with focus on biogas production);
- Elaboration of recommendations in order to enhance technical standards in China in the realm of municipal solid waste management/treatment;
- Recommendations on pollution control and development of robust governmental supervision systems for waste incineration and AD treatment facilities.
The Contractor will also support local stakeholders in enhancing management approach to foster better waste segregation at a source and improve performance of the recycling industry.
Work package II: Capacity development
The Contractor will contribute to the output 4: Capacities of key stakeholders concerning international best practice for integrated waste management have increased.
- Content preparation for and contribution to up to 7 trainings for different stakeholders/participants and provision of trainers;
- On-the-job trainings, technical reviews and workshops;
- Preparation of thematic summaries based on the lessons learnt in the course of the project and TA provision;
- Participation in the leading international waste sector events and exhibitions to disseminate information about the project and its findings.