The SRTF is a multi-donor trust fund that was established in September 2013 to finance recovery and rehabilitation activities aimed at alleviating the suffering of the Syrian people affected by the conflict. The Stabilisation Unit of the SRTF was established in September 2017 to finance community stabilisation activities in newly liberated areas from ISIS.
The governance structure of the Fund consists of a Steering Board that defines overall Fund strategic direction and policies, a Management Committee that decide on funding proposals and a robust Management Unit (MU), responsible for running of the Fund from initiation, vetting and submission of project proposals, procurement on behalf of some Syrian Implementing Entities some, to subsequent monitoring of progress and reporting of results and outcomes. The MU is currently registered in Turkey as SRTF Management A.S. (Syria Inc.) The Stabilisation Platform of the SRTF will be managed from a satellite office in Erbil, Iraq. A Director General (DG) and a Chief Operating Officer (COO) lead the MU.
The M&E Manager is an important position within the SRTF because of the need for programme accountability, reporting to donors, and programme learning. The M&E position manages an M&E Reporting Officer and an M&E contract with an independent monitoring firm.
Key Responsibilities of the M&E Section Head
Under the management of the DG/COO and under the direct supervision of the Director for Stabilisation Programming, the M&E Section Head must be able to take M&E principles and apply them in the fluid environment of Syria in tangible, simple, practical ways. Specific responsibilities include:
- Design the M&E framework for the stabilisation programme that will be implemented by the independent monitoring firm;
- Manage the outsourced contract with the monitoring firm ensuring timely deliverables and continued quality of reporting and monitoring;
- Translate monitoring reports into donor reports for external audiences and SRTF donor countries;
- Identify problem areas through the review of monitoring reports. Work with the programme team to develop ideas to address the programme and improve overall quality of programming;
- Working with the M&E reporting officer, develop creative ways to better tell the story of the SRTF and the impact its work is having on the ground; and
- Strategically manage the M&E team to ensure oversight and accountability of resources, identify programme learning opportunities, and report to donors (via the DG) on progress against strategic objectives.
The incumbent is responsible to
- Participates and submit progress reports during the weekly Stabilisation Unit meeting;
- Develop monthly reports on the work of the independent monitoring firm and its stated progress towards contract deliverables; and
- Adhere to Management Unit’s regulations on security and confidentiality.
Supervision and guidance received
- This position reports to the Director for Stabilisation Programming;
- The position will provide direct line management to two (2) M&E associates and manage the outsourced contract for the third party monitoring firm; and
- Attend to any special tasks or assignments as may be directed by the DG and/or the COO.